Monthly Archives: June 2017

28-year-old NE Ohio cold case has ties to metro Detroit – WKYC

Authorities became a step closer to solving a nearly three-decade-old cold case involving a man believed to be from metro Detroit when his body was identified earlier this year.

Now officials in Ohio are searching for anyone who knew Terrence Patrick Brennan, whose body washed up on the shore of Lake Erie in Lorain in 1989.

Police said his last known address was on Sobieski Street in Hamtramck.

“He lived in the Detroit area at one time,” said Detective John Dougherty with the Lorain Police Department. “Hopefully, someone around there might remember him.”

Advances in technology helped the FBI identify 36-year-old Brennan using fingerprints, which matched those taken during an arrest in Illinois in 1971, authorities said.  

Tom Aftanas, chief of police in Forest Park,  where the

Read more at: http://www.wkyc.com/news/crime/cold-cases/28-year-old-ne-ohio-cold-case-has-ties-to-metro-detroit/453498369

Family, friends remember Heather Elvis on missing girl’s 24th birthday

If you’ve ever bought a cell phone, laptop, tablet or power tool that runs on lithium-ion batteries, odds are good you’ve got a chance to get a piece of a class action settlement.

Read more at: http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/35793195/family-friends-remember-heather-elvis-on-missing-girls-24th-birthday

New Federal Strike Force Will Help ‘Make Chicago Safe Again’: Sessions

Ahead of a historically violent holiday weekend in Chicago, U.S Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Friday decried gun violence in Chicago, announcing a new Gun Strike Force created by President Donald Trump to stop it.

The Trump Administration will not let the bloodshed go on,” Sessions said in a statement. “We cannot accept these levels of violence. That’s why, under President Trump’s strong leadership, we have created the Chicago Gun Strike Force.”

Sessions said 20 more permanent ATF agents were sent to the city along with federal prosecutors with the purpose of “prioritizing prosecutions to reduce gun violence, and working with our law enforcement partners to stop the lawlessness.”

Sessions’ statement was issued as Chicago Police and the Department of Justice’s Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms locally announced the taskforce. They described it as a “specialized team of Chicago police officers, federal agents, Illinois State troopers, intelligence

Read more at: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/New-Federal-Strike-Force-Will-Help-Make-Chicago-Safe-Again-Sessions-431811413.html

St. Matthews Police ask for help searching for missing man – The Courier

St. Matthews Police say they are searching for a missing person who was last seen in the 200 block of Breckenridge Lane, near St. Matthews.

Donald M. Mitchell Jr., 59, of Louisville was reported missing on Monday, and police are asking for help locating the man.

Mitchell may be in a 1990 maroon or burgundy Ford Mustang convertible, police wrote in a news release. The vehicle would have a Kentucky license plate that reads 6759GL. 

They also say he could be in need of medical attention. He is reportedly approximately 5 feet 10 inches tall and 170 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes. 

Anyone with information about his

Read more at: http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/crime/2017/07/01/st-matthews-police-ask-help-searching-missing-man/445105001/

Police arrest one suspect, seek second suspect in robbery

Police arrest one man, seek a second man in robbery of Jefferson Express

CHESTERFIELD — Police have arrested one man and are still seeking a second man in connection with the robbery of the Jefferson Express convenience store at 16638 Jefferson Davis Highway on Tuesday, June 27.

Police said two men entered the business at about 12:05 p.m. on June 27 and walked around the store. One suspect approached the counter and the second suspect went behind the counter. The suspects demanded money from the register and the second suspect assaulted the clerk.

Upon receiving cash, the second suspect again struck the victim and demanded the keys to his vehicle.

The suspects then fled in the victim’s vehicle, a white 2012 Toyota Highlander bearing Virginia tags VFJ-3701.

The victim sustained non-life threatening injuries. No weapon was displayed during the robbery.

Through investigation and with help from the public, the suspect

Read more at: http://www.progress-index.com/news/20170630/police-arrest-one-suspect-seek-second-suspect-in-robbery

Aleah Beckerle story inspires new search team

The next time someone like Aleah Beckerle disappears, a volunteer group plans to be ready to launch a search at a moment’s notice.

Members of her search team say, some of the very people who spent months looking for Aleah are now creating a new search team. 

Mary Roberts spent countless weekends driving up early from Owensboro to lend a hand to search efforts. Months and months of combing the Tri-State, had a lasting impact on her because she has a special needs child of her own. 

“To envision that this could have been her, there is no decision, this is the right thing to do,” explained Mary Roberts. “When something is this serious and this real, it helps the searchers, they peel off that superficial stuff, and do things for no other reason than just because of love.” 

The group is still in the development phase, but it will include people who learned

Read more at: http://www.14news.com/story/35792447/aleah-beckerle-story-inspires-new-search-team

28-year-old Ohio cold case has ties to metro Detroit

x

Embed

x

Share

CLOSETODAY’S TOP STORIESDNR: Cougar spotted in Michigan’s Lower Peninsula | 1:00

A Haslett resident took a photograph of a cougar from his vehicle in Clinton County’s Bath Township near the DNR’s Rose Lake State Wildlife Area northeast of East Lansing on June 21.
Elissa Robinson/DFP

x

Embed

x

Share

CLOSETODAY’S TOP STORIESPolice searching for bald Rogaine thief | 0:46

Dearborn police are seeking a bald man who stole seven boxes of the hair growth product Rogaine.

Read more at: http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/wayne/2017/06/30/ohio-cold-case-terrence-brennan/444670001/

Four days later: Friends intensify search for woman last seen leaving RDU

— Four days after a 24-year-old woman was reported missing after leaving the Raleigh-Durham International Airport, there is still no sign of her, and loved ones are growing increasingly worried.

Allison Cope was reported missing on Monday after she clocked out for a break from her job at a Terminal 2 Starbucks. Cope took a scheduled break at 3 p.m. but did not return. She was reported missing around 7 p.m.

Cope was seen on video at a Shell gas station at 942 Durham Rd. at about 4:15 p.m. on Monday. Airport police have thoroughly reviewed the video and said there is no evidence that she is under any distress or that any crime was committed at the airport or anywhere else on the airport campus.

Family members said Cope’s phone and bag were found at the airport, but her car keys and debit card were missing from her bag.

She was

Read more at: http://www.wral.com/four-days-later-friends-intensify-search-for-woman-last-seen-leaving-rdu/16795688/

Indigent burials at Leon County’s ‘pauper’s cemetery’ – Columbus Ledger

Behind a rusted red gate off Crawfordville Road and down a long dirt road is Leon Serenity Cemetery, where Jane and John Does are laid to rest.

In the sparsely wooded lot are small metal nameplates pinned upright to the ground.

Some are named and numbered. Others are just numbered. Among them, a rare flat gravestone sits adorned with fake flowers. The cemetery is remarkable for its lack of upright headstones.

The burial ground once belonged to the shuttered Sunland Hospital. It is the final resting place for those patients who didn’t make it.

Now it belongs to Leon County as an indigent burial cemetery, to bury men, women and children whose families couldn’t afford a burial. They rest alongside unclaimed bodies, many of them homeless people.

Others are unidentified and listed in the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System. Online searches on the NamUS website find breadcrumbs in hopes of possible identification: photos of

Read more at: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/business/article159140769.html

Man sentenced to 25 years for producing child porn – Fosters

CONCORD — Brian Powell, 34, of Salem was sentenced to 25 years in federal prison for producing child pornography, according to a Friday press release from the U.S. Department of Justice District of New Hampshire.

A detective with the Rochester Police Department assisted in the investigation into Powell.

According to court records and statements in court, an Electronic Service Provider (ESP) alerted the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) that an individual had uploaded a child pornography file to the ESP’s website. That file was ultimately traced back to Powell’s residence in Salem.

In 2015, the Salem Police Department obtained a search warrant for the residence and seized Powell’s personal computer. A Rochester police detective – also a member of the New Hampshire Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force – analyzed the contents of the computer and discovered a collection of child pornography.

The collection included several

Read more at: http://www.fosters.com/news/20170630/man-sentenced-to-25-years-for-producing-child-porn