MUSKEGON, MICH. – They’re soon to be together again.
Thanks to a concerned citizen, and the power of social media, a family photo album filled with baby pictures, is heading back to the baby – who now happens to be 35-years old, and lives 3,000 miles from where the album was found.
“My mother called me and said, ‘hey, you were on the news back in Michigan,'” said Jennifer Rose, via Skype, from her home in San Luis Obispo, California. “A friend
Read more at: http://www.wzzm13.com/features/holy-crap-california-woman-cant-wait-to-get-photo-album-found-in-muskegon/482864809
SACRAMENTO — The FBI has called it the single-largest growing threat to children on the internet, but until recently sexual extortion — in which predators use sexually explicit images as blackmail and demand sex or more images instead of money — was not a standalone crime anywhere in the country.
But this week California became the fifth state to make it a felony to blackmail people with the threat of distributing explicit images of them. Only adults will be prosecuted under Sen. Connie Leyva’s Senate Bill 500, which Gov. Jerry Brown signed into law Thursday. Utah, Texas, Alabama and Arkansas passed similar laws this year. California’s law takes effect in January.
“We are just saying once again to women, ‘We stand with you and we will protect you,’” Leyva said in an interview Friday.
Sexual extortion will be considered a criminal act in California under legislation signed Thursday by Gov. Jerry Brown.
SB 500, by Sen. Connie Levya (D-Chino), will add coercion involving sexual acts and sexually explicit images — known as “sextortion” — to the state’s extortion laws.
“The Governor’s signature of SB 500 tells sextortion victims that they matter and that they absolutely deserve to be able to receive justice in a court of law,” Leyva said in a statement.
Perpetrators of sextortion obtain private images by hacking into victims’ computers or smartphones to demand sex or more images, she said.
About 78% of sextortion victims are girls with an average age of 15, according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
The bill will go into effect on Jan. 1, 2018.
Read more at: http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-sexual-extortion-will-be-considered-a-1507243574-htmlstory.html
Kimberly Long was the subject of the Independent’s June 2015 cover story, “Guilty Until Proven Innocent”; she was in prison after being convicted of murdering her boyfriend.
Long insisted she was innocent—and her case caught the attention of the California Innocence Project.
“I know I’m going home,” Long told the Independent last year. “It’s just a matter of time. … I know I’m coming home, and I have the utmost faith in the California Innocence Project—and faith in God.”
Long’s faith was rewarded: On June 10, Riverside Superior Court Judge Patrick Magers reversed Long’s conviction, ruling that Long’s public defender did not provide adequate representation. She was released on bail, after being in prison since 2009.
“I couldn’t believe it was actually happening,” Long told the Independent in a recent interview. “Being released from the jail, walking out to fresh air and no correctional officers, it was a different kind of feeling. It’s been
Read more at: https://www.cvindependent.com/index.php/en-US/news/local-issues/item/3275-finally-free-the-california-innocence-project-gets-kimberly-long-s-murder-conviction-overturned
Maximillian A. Robertson, also known as Max, went missing on July 22 in Olympia, the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office wrote in a release Thursday.
Robertson, 40, was traveling from California. He was last scene parking his Mercedes van at The Shipwreck Cafe near Madrona Beach Road Northwest, and walking toward the bay.
Five days later, the Sherriff’s Office took a report regarding property found on the 3200 block of Aspinwall Road Northwest, about four miles from where Robertson was last seen.
The property, which was later identified to belong to Robertson, included cash, two cellphones and one iPad.
Robertson is listed at 5-foot-8, 150 pounds with brown hair and blue eyes. He was listed as a missing person by the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday.
Read more at: http://www.theolympian.com/news/local/article165339997.html
By Gina Cherelus
(Reuters) – A California deputy attorney general has been charged
with possessing child pornography at his San Diego County home
following a months-long investigation, according to court records
and local media.
Raymond Liddy, 53, was arrested at his home in the resort city of
Coronado, California, on Tuesday and accused of owning images
that appeared to depict minors under age 12 engaging in sexual
acts, court records showed.
The San Diego Union-Tribune, which first reported the case, said
Liddy pleaded not guilty on Wednesday in federal court for the
Southern District of California, and that he was placed on
administrative leave by the attorney general’s office.
An attorney for Liddy and a representative of the attorney
general’s office did not immediately
Read more at: http://www.businessinsider.com/r-california-deputy-attorney-general-charged-with-child-porn-2017-7
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A California deputy attorney general has been charged in San Diego with possession of child pornography.
The San Diego Union-Tribune reports Raymond Joseph Liddy pleaded not guilty and was released on $100,000 bond. The attorney general’s office said Wednesday it is aware of the matter and that the 53-year-old Liddy was placed on administrative leave.
The newspaper reported that the complaint said an electronic service provider sent a tip to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in January that a user had uploaded an image that appeared to be child porn. A month later another provider sent a similar tip to the organization.
Read more at: http://www.sfchronicle.com/news/us/article/California-state-prosecutor-charged-with-child-11447714.php
Family and friends from both coasts of the United States and many points in between plan to gather in Newport next weekend to bid farewell to Danielle Bertolini, a Maine woman believed to have been murdered in California three years ago.
“I know me, myself, I miss my daughter, but in order for my son, and for my husband and for the rest of my family to heal, I think that moving forward with this final process, the [memorial] service, will help all of us try to move on as a family, as a close, tight unit, like it once was, instead of us all falling apart at different times,” her mother, Billie-Jo Dick of Plymouth, said Friday evening.
“I think it’s just time for all of us to come together and say, ‘OK, you know, we need to all heal,’” Dick said of the memorial service set for 1
Read more at: https://bangordailynews.com/2017/07/08/news/state/memorial-service-set-for-maine-woman-believed-to-have-been-murdered-in-california/